Monday, January 25, 2010

Adelaide Adventures: South Australia Revisted



Dee Farrell currently lives and works in Australia, Canada and the US, as the weather suits. She is currently on assignment in South Australia, home of some of the best known grape growing regions downunder.






Kept thinking of my brother Joe, a Wednesday night marathon cyclist back in Indianapolis. This past Wednesday, I caught a glimpse of his idol, Lance Armstrong, who put together a team to ride in the Down Under Tour in South Australia.

I rode into Adelaide (on a motorscooter not racing bike) for the long weekend, not realizing the bike tour would wind all through the wine region and around downtown. It was exciting to watch close up and personal as well as on the nightly news.

My former business name was DeeTours DownUnder, so love the race moniker...The Tour Down Under.

Previously, I had personal guided trips to Adelaide Hills, McLaren Vale and the Barossa Valley. This trip, my goal was Clare Valley, home of some notable reislings and world-class shiraz. Thanks to my Bacchus Wine Society (Denver) mate Barry, I had a great day visiting some of his local favorites...Mt Serum (09 Nebbiolo), Monarch ($100/case shiraz special), Sevenhills ($5 wine skin), Stonebridge (pizza and wheat beer), Neagles Rock (08 Shiraz).

Wine touring down under - superb!


No comments: